• FIRST TEAM vs. Carlton Town (4 : 2)
  • FIRST TEAM vs. Carlton Town (4 : 2)
  • FIRST TEAM vs. Carlton Town (4 : 2)
  • FIRST TEAM vs. Carlton Town (4 : 2)

FIRST TEAM vs. Carlton Town (4 : 2)


FIRST TEAM - Tuesday, 26 March, 2019 - 19:45 - Evo-Stik League East Division 

Sheffield FC moved back into the play-off spots on Tuesday evening, writes Stuart James, however once again they made hard work of securing the win. Club took a quick fire lead from Ted Cribley, but struggled to build on this and were pegged back early in the second half, when Kyle Stovel levelled matters. 

The three points were secured however as Richard Patterson, Jamie Yates and Mitchell Dunne all found the net, with Tyler Blake grabbing a consolation in injury time. The game was delayed for 25 minutes due to a faulty floodlight, however it was a dream start for the hosts, as Johnny Pugh burst down the left flank, playing the ball across the edge of the area for Ted Cribley to sweep into the corner of the net beyond the diving Jack Steggles within the first 30 seconds of the game. 

Rather than kick on from that, Sheffield started to look decidedly hesitant in the middle of the park and were nearly made to pay when Aiden Austin put a dangerous ball across the face of goal, with Tyler Blake inches from getting the vital touch with the goal at his mercy. It was all Carlton at this stage, and Jonathan Hedge came to the rescue with a good stop, whilst Sheffield were thankful for some wayward and woeful attempts from the Millers attack. Eventually Club settled back into their rhythm, and went perilously close to grabbing a second, when Mitch Dunne set up Marc Newsham who's shot cannoned off the post. 

Carlton keeper Steggles did some good work shortly after, denying a shot from Sam Wright which was turned around the post, after more good work on the wing by Pugh. After the break Carlton were the ones to look the more dangerous, and they were rewarded on 53 minutes, as a long ball was looped over Sheffield stopper Hedge by the head of Kyle Stovel. 

Moments later, Carlton hit the bar, and what had looked to be a routine game was turning into a potential shock. This rattled Club and eventually they woke up, and on 67 minutes they retook the lead, as Richard Patterson scored for the second consecutive game when he drove home from 12 yards after Steggles could only palm a hard driven cross into his path.

The game was wrapped up on 84 minutes, as Alfie Eagle sent a ball deep into the box, with Jamie Yates making his first two touches after coming on as a substitute - teeing up with his thigh, before volleying into the far corner. 

A fourth was added three minutes from time, as Yates turned provider after some good work, setting up Mitchell Dunne to fire home. Sheffield's concentration lapsed in injury time, allowing Carlton to grab a second, with Tyler Blake taking advantage to complete the scoring. 

Attendance: 279