First Team vs. Tadcaster Albion (3 : 4)

Tuesday, 21 August, 2018 - 19:45
Evo-Stik League East Division

Sheffield Fc made it two defeats on the trot, writes Stuart James, as they lost 4-3 at home to Tadcaster in an error-strewn game that was a pleasure to watch for the neutrals in the 240 crowd 

Tadcaster took the lead on 4 minutes when a speculative ball over the top by Billy Whitehouse was misjudged by Josh Ingham, the ball bouncing over the keeper’s head, giving Aiden Savory the embarrassingly easy task of tapping the ball into the empty net. 

Club sparked into life and had a good chance moments later, as a neat ball was threaded through to Mitchell Dunne, with the experienced stopper Michael Ingham doing well to make the save. 

They drew level on 16 minutes with some fine play on the left, debutant Charlie Wakefield slicing the defence open, giving Waide Fairhurst the opportunity to do what he does best – finishing with a cool chip past the keeper.

Albion went close on the half-hour mark, as a ball in saw Aiden Savory outmuscle the home defence, teeing up a volley for Joe Lumsden who volleyed into the side netting. Lumsden went close once again after being given acres of space, as Aaron Hardy played him in space, the end-product however was a disappointing sliced shot. 

Moments later Turton redeemed his earlier mistake, after Casey Stewart dispossessed Daz Winter to leave the Tadcaster man free on goal, only a brave save from the keeper kept parity. 

At the other end almost immediately Ingham came to the rescue of the visitors, after Andrew Gascoigne’s drive was well saved, and Waide Fairhurst’s follow-up going close. 

Ify Ofoegbu made a good break down the right to whip a ball across the face of the goal, with no-one able to get the vital touch, and instantly the ball went up the other end where Turton was called into action to deny Lumsden a chance with some quick thinking. 

Ten minutes after the restart Turton made a miraculous save from Lumsden, after Savory blocked a clearance with what looked like his hands, the ball played through with the keeper making a reaction save from the Albion striker. 

Seconds later Club went straight up the other end, Charlie Wakefield played through to Ify Ofoegbu, with the loanee squaring the ball, and Mitchell Dunne scuffing the ball home from ten yards to make it 2-1.

Sheffield had the chance to make it three with fifteen minutes to go, as Ofoegbu was pulled back in the area, with Referee Martyn Fryer pointing straight to the spot – from the penalty kick Fairhurst stuttered, before Ingham chose the right way to save. 

That was to prove costly on 78 minutes, as Casey Stewart forced the ball home to make it 2-2. Seconds later it was 3-2 to the visitors, the ball dropped by Turton in the box, gifting Lumsden a tap-in.

It was 3-3 almost straight away, as Mitchell Dunne spectacularly brought the ball down, volleying home an unbelievable shot. 

The game was won with another gift for the visitors five minutes from time, as Lumsden got behind the defence, and chipped the ball over the advancing Turton to make it 4-3.

Sheffield FC: Turton, Ofoegbu, Eagle, Winter, Lawrence, Kay, Wakefield, Gascoigne©, Dunne, Fairhurst, Wright. Subs: Osborne, Mohammed, Newsham, Mackie, Gregory

Tadcaster Albion: Ingham©, Whitehouse, Hardy, Mycoe, Coates, Barrett, Stewart, Roper, Lumsden, Davidson, Savory Subs: Langton, Barkworth, Howarth, Walters, Baker.