First Team vs. Stocksbridge Park Steels (3 : 1)

Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 19:45
League Cup

Sheffield FC eased into the second round of the Integro League Cup, writes Stuart James, as the beat local rivals Stocksbridge Park Steels. 

Both sides fielded vastly changed sides from their weekend league games, taking the opportunity to look at new signings and fringe players, along with promising youngsters that have impressed in each's youth set ups. 

Club made the ideal start, as after just two minutes Waide Fairhurst made a good run across the face of the goal, before unleashing a great finish to make it 1-0.

Sheffield looked likely to extend their lead, with debutant Johnny Pugh delivering some decent free-kicks, and also going close with a shot of his own. 

It was Steels who levelled on 13 minutes however, following some poor defending from a cross on the left, Kane Swinburn was allowed to head home unchallenged from close range. 

Josh Turton made a great save shortly after to stop the visitors taking the lead, bravely stopping an effort from Lewis Witham, whilst Matt Roney went close with a shot at the opposite end.

Ex-Clubbie keeper Jordan Greaves made a fine stop from a rasping James Gregory shot, with Pugh once again going close on a couple more occasions, whilst Stocksbridge struck the post on the half-hour mark, following Josh Reaney taking advantage of more slack defending, 

The second half saw Sheffield far more adventurous, with Ant Mackie heading close from a Gregory cross, with Gregory once more turning provider for Pugh to force another save from Greaves. 

Sheffield's youngsters gave a good account of themselves, with Alfie Eagle and Iren Wilson combining well to go close, unfortunately not troubling the visiting keeper. 

On 68 minutes Club took the lead, a free-kick awarded in the danger area just outside the area, Pugh stepping up to drive it into the top corner. 

It should have been three moments later another free-kick into the box should have been buried, with Julian Lawrence just unable to connect his header, whilst Pugh went even closer with another drive that struck the bar with Greaves well-beaten. 

The tie was wrapped up on 77 minutes following good work from Sam Wright and Iren Wilson combining, with Wilson picking out Gregory with an excellent pass, who in turn completed the move with a super-cool finish that was curled round the keeper. 

It ended on a sour note for the hosts, following a small stramash between both sides, with Ant Mackie seeing red for his reaction in the argument. 

Sheffield FC: Turton, Mackie, Eagle, Wright, Lawrence ©, Meddings, Roney, Smiljanić, Fairhurst, Pugh, Gregory Subs: Mohammed, Wilson, White, Mitcheson.
Stoksbridge Park Steels: Greaves, Poulton, Coleman ©, Thompson, Pickford, Hurst, Broomhead, Warren, Witham, Swinburn, Reaney.


Man of the Match: 
Matt Roney