First Team vs. Prescot Cables (2 : 6)

Tuesday, 2 October, 2018 - 20:00
FA Trophy

Sheffield FC rued the missed opportunity to progress in another cup competition, as they crashed out of the FA Trophy 6-2 to Prescot Cables at Hope Street on Tuesday evening, after drawing 2-2 at the Home of Football the previous Saturday.

It was a terrible start for Sheffield, as from the off they were put on the back foot with a break on the right hand side, with the ball whipped across for Jake Linehan to stab home from close range. 

The hosts looked as if they would add to the tally at will, with several attempts going close, as the visitors were cut open through the middle by a dominant home midfield. 

Eventually Club came back into the game, with Waide Fairhurst and Sam Wright going close, and Julian Lawrence adventuring forward to head over. 

The scores were levelled on 29 minutes as a lofted ball forward by Stuart Ludlam cut open the defence, with Waide Fairhurst taking the ball, lobbing the keeper with a perfectly weighted effort to silence the home crowd. 

Five minutes before the break Sheffield were punished for ball watching, with Jordan Wynne taking advantage of sloppy defending, to drive home at the second attempt. 

Sheffield started the second half with more purpose, and after Ben Turner and James Gregory went close, Club found themselves level on the hour mark.

Johnny Pugh put a corner in that was half cleared, the winger put a deeper ball back into the box, with centre half Julian Lawrence volleying the ball home from ten yards out. 

Parity lasted a matter of seconds, as a hasty clearance from the substitute Prescot keeper caught Club flat, with Chris Almond breaking the defence to round Adam Kelsey to make it 3-2 to Cables. 

Ten minutes later the tie was more or less put out of reach, as Lawrence was caught out at the back to concede a penalty; Almond stepped up to send Kelsey the wrong way. 

It took two more minutes for Prescot to make it 5-2, with Sheffield switching off once again at the back, and Josh Klein-Davies driving the ball home emphatically with the defence watching. 

The scoring was completed just before full-time, again the defence cut open with some more tired looking defending, allowing Lloyd Dean to tap in an easy goal.