First Team vs. Hyde United (1 : 5)

Saturday, 25 August, 2018 - 15:00
FA Cup

Club exited the FA Cup at the first hurdle for the third time in four seasons, writes Stuart James, as they suffered a harshly heavy defeat at the hands of Evo-Stik Premier League outfit Hyde United.

The hosts ran out 5-1 winners, with substitute Karl Jones grabbing the perfect hat-trick, however the score line doesn't reflect the performance of the Sheffield outfit. 

Both sides started positively, with Hyde having the first chances of the game, as Tom Pratt had an effort deflected for a corner and Chib Chilaka having a shot trickle onto the post. 

The first goal of the game came on 14 minutes; Pratt caused mayhem on the right hand side putting the ball into the mix, and with Club only managing to half clear the ball, Chilaka hit the ball on the turn to squeeze the ball through the mêlée and into the corner of the net. 

Sheffield responded positively, with Jamie Yates dictating play in the middle, and teeing up a chance for Waide Fairhurst that was volleyed over the bar. 

The youngsters Ehsan Mohammed and James Hastings were impressing against their illustrious opponents, with Mohammed particularly lively on the ball, and curling an effort just over the bar.

James Gregory also went close for the away side, as a mix-up in the Hyde defence was nearly punished, and keeper Peter Crook having to be alert to snuff out the danger. 

From the restart Sheffield looked the more likely to change the scoreboard, with Hastings turning provider by scooping the ball through to Gregory, with the end product not far off the mark. 

Fairhurst went close not long after, a break down the right by Mohammed saw the ball played in to the middle, and following a step-over from Dunne, the keeper had to be at his best at the feet of the Sheffield striker. 

Sheffield were starting to dominate proceedings,  with Dunne heading just over the bar, and pressing at every opportunity. 

That though was soon to change dramatically, as Kyle Harrison found a gap in the heart of the defence, slipping the ball to it to Karl Jones who dribbled it round the keeper and into the empty net to make it 2-0.
The game was over as a contest ten from time, with Luke Porritt blocking a clearance with what looked like handball, Jones took advantage and squaring to Pete Boyle who tapped it in.

The salt was well and truly rubbed into sore wounds on 88 minutes, with Pratt chipping the ball into a weary looking Sheffield defence, and Jones heading home. 

It was five on the stroke of 90 minutes, again it was Pratt who was the provider by playing into the mix, Club could only half-clear once again, with Jones completing his hat-trick with a cool finish.

Sheffield got a well deserved consolation goal, as they continued to push forward to the death, and Marc Newsham driving the ball home at the back post to complete the scoring. 

Unlike the earlier two games of the season, it was a result that was more than harsh on a very lively Sheffield outfit, and one that could have gone either way in the first 70 minutes. 

As it was, Club exit the FA Cup once again, with Hyde United progressing where they’ll meet Evo-Stik West side Colne FC in the First Qualifying Round.

Hyde United: Crook, Harrison, Brownhill, Daly, Hughes, Fagbola, Pratt, Lipka, Chilaka, Rothery, Porritt. Subs: Brown, Hodges, Jones, Quansah, McCombe, Boyle.

Sheffield FC: Durrant, Turner, Hastings, Lawrence, Magee, Kay, Yates, Mohammed, Dunne, Fairhurst, Gregory. Subs: Osborne, Turton, Newsham, Ofoegbu, Wright, Roney. 


Man of the Match: 
Ben Turner