First Team vs. Cleethorpes Town (4 : 3)

Tuesday, 11 September, 2018 - 19:45
Evo-Stik League East Division

Sheffield FC's "goals, goals, goals" mentality continued on Tuesday evening, writes Stuart James, as they ran out 4-3 winners in an incredible see-saw game at Cleethorpes Town. 

The game started with a flourish with Cleethorpes pushing early on, and Sheffield looking particularly shaky st the back, as Jon Oglesby's cross took advantage of some loose defence and Ross Durrant having to block the effort from Jake Batty. 

As expected Club looked dangerous going forward, and they too went close early on as Charlie Wakefield was picked out by Andrew Gascoigne, with Leon Osborne scuffing his effort just wide of the mark. 

The game stuttered into a messy period dominated by a head-tennis battle, with neither team getting a grip of the game, however on 37 minutes the game erupted into life. 

The hosts were awarded a rather dubious corner, the ball was whipped in and was dispatched into the net, as Matt Bloomer bravely headed home. 

It took five minutes for Sheffield to get back on level terms, a Route One ball from Ben Turner had ex-Clubbie goalkeeper Dylan Parkin in a mess, with Marc Newsham capitalising on the hesitation to head over the keeper and drive the ball into the empty net. 

In injury time it too a dramatic swing, as yet again a long ball - this time from James Kay - picked apart the Owls' defence, with Newsham the punisher once again to send Sheffield into the break ahead. 

If the half ended well for the visitors, the second half could only be described as disastrous, as less than 30 seconds after the restart the visiting defence committed defensive suicide allowing Oglesby to capitalise and draw level. 

Less than a minute later Cleethorpes were in front, poor defence again only half cleared the ball, with Josh Batty hitting a sweet curling strike into the far corner. 

It was the jolt Sheffield needed, and they drew level once again on 65 minutes from a Charlie Wakefield free-kick, with Julian Lawrence powering a fantastic header for his first goal in senior football. 

From there was only one likely winner, and after Newsham flashed one across the face of goal, substitute Mitchell Dunne went millimeters away from grabbing the lead with a placed header that struck the base of the post and bounced into the hands of Parkin. 

That was only a delay in the inevitable, as Gascoigne showed great vision ten minutes from time, picking out Dunne on a run on the right - and as expected - the ball ended up under Parkin and in the net to crown a fantastic game of football. 

Sheffield FC: Durrant, Turner, Kay, Wakefield, Lawrence, Winter, Yates, Gascoigne (c), Osborne, Newsham, Gregory. Subs: Mackie, Fairhurst, Mohammed, Ofoegbu, Dunne.


Man of the Match: 
Marc Newsham