First Team vs. Carlton Town (1 : 0)

Saturday, 6 October, 2018 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League East Division

Sheffield FC put the bad memory of the past week behind them with a well-earned victory at Carlton Town, writes Stuart James, with a sound defensive display to record their first clean-sheet of the season. 

In a dour game in wet and slippery conditions, Club limited the Millers to very few chances on goal, and capitalised on a moment of brilliance with Mitchell Dunne coming from the bench to score a wonder goal. 

The game was very slow to start, with both sides finding it hard to string the vital passes together, Carlton having the first real offensive came on 15 minutes when Oliver Clark played in Luke Smithson who's shot was tipped wide by Adam Kelsey. 

Things started to liven up in the last ten minutes of the half, following a James Gregory run down the left, and Waide Fairhurst nodding his cross just wide. 

In injury time there were chances at each end; Marc Newsham set up Waide Fairhurst for a chance which lacked power in the shot, whilst at the other end a Niall Davie cross was deflected onto the crossbar by Juanjo Ferri-Cortés with Adam Kelsey stranded.

It was yet more dour football after the break, again Fairhurst looking most likely to do anything of note, firing an early shot just wide from the edge of the box. Carlton almost scored a freak goal at the other end; Oliver Robinson’s free kick should have been dealt with by Kelsey, however in attempting to punch clear, the goalkeeper inadvertently sliced his punch with the ball heading into the net until the covering Ben Turner headed off the line.

On 64 minutes Fairhurst made way for Mitch Dunne, four minutes later a defence splitting pass from Daz Winter found Dunne in acres of space, he ran from left to right with nothing in the way of a challenge to stop him and then unleashed a screamer from 25 yards which flew past Steggles into the top corner.

It was a goal completely out of keeping with the rest of the game, but it gave Club the impetus to see the game out, with the defensive pair of Tyreece Robinson and Daz Winter repelling everything that came their way. 

Sheffield were the ones who looked more likely to score, and really should have added when a James Gregory cross was met by the diving header of Marc Newsham, unfortunately for the prolific striker the ball ricocheted off his shoulder and over the bar. 

Five minutes from time Gregory sent another telling cross in, this time Johnny Pugh met the ball with a shot, only to see it rattle the stanchion. 

In injury time referee Wainman sent Carlton manager Wayne Scott from the bench, after one of his coaching staff stopped the ball going out for a throw-in, capping off a frustrating afternoon for the hosts. 


Man of the Match: 
Tyreece Robinson